Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Selective Memory

It's weird how memory works. For example, I can forget that I have to do my accounting homework or I already purchased a macroeconomics textbook -- both things I should be remembering. But the things I should forget don't seem to leave my memory.

Which is really damn irritating. It's hard to function in society as a competent human being when you can't stop thinking about inane ass garbage going through every other thought. When you realize that you spent the entirety of your accounting lecture thinking about random stupid things instead of taking notes on what makes a liability, it's probably high time that you start forgetting those random things (or to drop the accounting class).

I mean, I've tried to forget. I've tried to forget and numb myself (something that this guy can vouch for). But it's only a temporary reprieve before the mental naysayers and demons start creeping back in and whisper in your mind. And that just leads to another temporary reprieve.

It'd be great to actually just snap your fingers and just erase a few things from your memory. Of course, that could be easily abused. But it'd be nice, just this once.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Well, first off - you might listen?! If I'm taking the time to read your blog and actually respond, then please do me the courtesy of listening. Boo.

Selective memory is a bitch. I have trouble remembering when bills are due. I have trouble remembering where I put my keys and my phone. The day, what I'm doing... the list goes on.

Wondering what you're trying to forget. Forgetting doesn't work. Distraction is key.

Feng said...

What's this about not listening?