Monday, October 6, 2008

Things Ain't What They Used to Be

I'll fess up to it: I act like an old man at times. I hope one day I could be as cool as Humphrey Bogart in the movies. I wouldn't mind being some of the guys on Mad Men, without (most) of the chauvinistic touches. I'm a fan of the old-style drinks (Tom Collins, Manhattan, scotch and water), I wear a hat when in public, and, first and foremost, I adhere to the old-style rules of chivalry (except when I'm nervous and I freak out and forget).

I'm a firm believer in chivalry. So what the Constitution was amended to give women the right to vote. I'm still holding the fucking door. Don't hold that crap about the women's lib movement and such; me holding the door for you is not objectifying you at all. It's called "a nice gesture." If you want to be a prick about it, go right ahead. Basically, it's all about treating women with the respect they deserve.

The thing that many guys who purport to be "gentlemen" forget is true chivalry has two sides. It is a double edged sword. On one side, you have the gentlemanly politeness that you have when you and whatever special lady you're with (be it a hot date or a female relative) are out and about. On the other side is the more dark and vicious side. It's the side that comes out when it's time to use that double edged sword.

The basic tenet of this side is that you do act maliciously towards anyone of the female gender that is close to you. Anyone who flagrantly disrespects women in such a manner is not deserving of any respect from anyone else. Period. Even if she's done you wrong horribly, you do not act at all maliciously. And if someone does so to someone of the female gender you care about, it'd be best for someone else (the law, Satan, a runaway MTA bus) to get to him first.

And of course, now we have "the legal system" and "processes" which take care of that. But I do long for the days when a gentleman who was confronted with the dishonor of a woman deserving of the privilege would take it into his own hands and settle it like true gentlemen.

By the way, law enforcement, this is in no way, shape, or form condoning things like vigilante justice. I'm too cultured for that sort of barbaric practice.

2 comments:

. said...

Why do women and children get to survive fires and wars but men are allowed to die like they're not flammable or mortal?

Why do men have to get plowed by semi-trucks while doing public road work, as if women can't learn how to use modern power tools?

I really can't get into it. there are so many breaks that women catch that I think they can open their own door. sorry.

Feng said...

With regard to your first example, I don't believe that it is "allowed" to die but rather some sort of gentlemanly duty to "take one for the team," if you will.

As for the second one, I don't know of any rule specifically barring women from taking those jobs. Heck, if a woman wants to do road work (and I met a woman who paints the median lines on the road), go right ahead.