Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Wandering Period, Part 4: It's Not Vinegar, It's Paint-Thinner

I forgot to label the previous post. I might go back and change it, I might not. I probably won't in case someone has already linked to it.

I'm currently in the library, taking various breaks in writing to make a post.

China is now claiming some Japanese goods are tainted. First thing, this is sour grapes. China's had a long history of questionable materials in their goods and is probably one of the few countries were someone urinating in the dough-mixing vat is the least of one's worries. China pointing out Japan's alleged tainting is the proverbial pointing out the splinter in someone else's eye while you ignore the log in your own. Second, the two products are soy sauce and mustard. Why is China importing soy sauce? And why the hell is China importing mustard from Japan?

Apparently the short and clever title followed by the moderately-sized subtitle was not in fashion in the nineteenth century. I just had to type out a title that was two lines of text long. Were these people paid by the word? Interesting to note that the fellow (Jared Sparks) has a pretty unremarkable nineteenth century name.

Any of you folks who think that fleeing to Europe is an option for freedom from "oppression" and "the man," sorry. France just passed a law that kicks you off the internet if you're busted a third time downloading "illegally."

My only hope is to become a courted niche political demographic, much like the people described in this Newsweek article. Talk about trying just a little too hard. I'm still waiting on the demographic of "Future historians who prefer scotch and wear hats."

When historians get bored or need to feel somewhat loved by the public, they dig this crap up. I mean, I guess it's sort of important. On the other hand, do I really need to know about Carter's ass?

On that note, back to writing about real history.

[end]

No comments: