Friday, November 7, 2008

The Wandering Period, Part 8: I Only Like Radicals in My Equations

The tree outside of the rationalist's room looks really nice. Didn't know that Maryland could actually have foliage.

One of the overarching themes of the American psyche is its distaste for radicalism. The American War for Independence really saw no more than possibly a third of the population side with the Patriots (who were pushing for a conservative revolution). The Americans looked at the French Revolution with horror. Same with the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia. So to think that Obama or any other president is going to make radical changes and somehow enforce this radicalism in ways that are so absurd that I can even imagine is preposterous and unnecessary, no matter what side of the political spectrum you claim to sit on. Seriously, if you think that is the case, take a deep breath and get someone to slap you in the face, either with a hand or a leather glove. Or two gloves, if you're into that.

It is interesting to note that Obama's ability to get the black and hispanic vote out resulted in not only him getting elected but also Proposition 8 (and other "defense of marriage" acts) passing. Just goes to show you children that you should be careful what you wish for.

Came across this article in time via Yahoo. I think its a great idea. I spent pretty much four years of high school marking time. It was pretty much like jail, except jail probably doesn't smell like ammonia and they have a health care plan. I probably would have done well enough in community college or a regular college (I got good grades in the college classes I took while in high school). Anyone who actually thinks that the four years is necessary either was probably high during their experience or just was too dumb to actually process the bullshit that the place was.

Now I get to go find my ID, which will dictate whether or not I can have a half-way decent burrito for dinner or perhaps fried rice.

No comments: